Friday, October 3, 2008

Miia Kate has finally arrived



First of all, there were a lot of questions about how to say the name (since it is a Finnish spelling). It's pronounce like Mia, not Maya. I'm sure she'll get all variations of her name, but it goes with the Finnish heritage. Speaking of names, we were in the hospital two hours more than necessary because we didn't want to leave without a name. We were down to two again, both of which we liked, so we finally had our nurse take a poll of about 20 nurses and staff and that was our decision. It suites her, though. She looks like a Miia. Actually, she looks like a Kaija, but that one is already taken. :) Seriously, everything about her, except the nose, is 100% Kaija, which is a good thing in my book.
The labor and delivery went really well. I was induced on Monday morning and Miia was on her own timeline. I was only dilated to a three until 4pm, then everything happened within 2 hours. I literally pushed twice and she was out. (No tears, no pain...thank you epidural, and not a single stitch needed, yay) It was almost a pleasant experience, relatively speaking, of course.
Besides the sleep thing, everything is going well, thanks to my mom being in town. She's my lifesaver. I'm sure reality will sink in the day she leaves, but for now I am enjoying my precious little angel. I probably won't be very diligent in posting pictures regularly, but I'll do my best.

12 comments:

brooke said...

Emily! Congratulations!! Glad it went so smoothly for you this time around. Miia Kate is such a beautiful name - love it! Can't wait to see pics of little Miia.

brooke said...

^^ i meant -cant wait to see MORE pics of Miia!

Hubers said...

She's so beautiful! I think all your kids look so much alike really.
Congrats on the new baby, having mom in town, and have a pretty smooth labor and delivery. Don't you think you deserve that after going overdue!?!?!;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

congrats! her name is beautiful and so is she.

SanniD said...

Yeah! She's here! I think she looks like a mixture of Kaija and Luukas. I see a lot of Luukas in her facial features. Anyway, it'll be fun to see her at the blessing. We're looking forward to it. No stitches! How? You are lucky!

Sarah S said...

She does look so much like Kaija did!! What a beautiful little girl and I love her name. I'm so happy that your labor went well!!! Hello, two pushes and no stitches?? I hope I can only be so lucky this next time around...

Gretchen said...

She is beautiful and I can't believe you already have a post up about her, you MUST be feeling great! I hope you get her turned around and she starts sleeping more at night instead of during the day!

Lisa said...

She really is so cute, I love seeing the pic of your mom holding her, how happy!

Kell's Belles said...

LOVE the name (honestly, we almost used that combo on two occasions!). She is beautiful. I'm SO glad labor and delivery went well and that your mom is with you. So essential! Good luck!

Arah Debra said...

Congratulations. I can't believe how much she looks like Kaija. I can't wait to meet her. Hope the adjustment to three isn't too tough on you.

Jana said...

Congrats!!! I bet you are so relieved to not be pregnant. I remember Dr. Tremper telling me that I would wish the baby back inside me once he come out. Sort of true. But I was so done with being big and having junk in my trunk. :)


Blueberry picking