Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas in Portland


We spent a week and a half with Teem's family in Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR. Everyone was there, and the kids enjoyed playing with their cousins. We had a great time and Luukas was the only one to get sick. (He threw up the day after Christmas, but just a couple times. Not to gross you out with details, but he was kind enough one time to hold it in his mouth while I got a bowl. He didn't even cry and if you know Luukas, that's unusual even when he's not throwing up). Anyway, we spent a day at Mt. Hood sledding which was fun but freakin' cold. The kids got a surprise the Sunday before Christmas when Santa took a break from his busy schedule to visit them at Mummi's house (Teem's mom). They loved it. Kaija was the first one up there to make sure he knew what she wanted. Luukas was afraid to sit on his lap, but not too shy about taking the treat he brought for all the kids. Teem's parents are both remarried, so we went back-and-forth between houses a few times. Christmas was at his dad's and Kaija loved her Princess crocodile, but I can't seem to find my pictures of her opening it, so I may have done a video of it. She got a matching skirt that has now become a wig of sorts, so that Kaija can transform into a princess with long, flowing, green hair. To each his own. Luukas got a bunch of lego stuff and trucks and cars. We are trying to subtly encourage him to play with boy toys instead of purses and jewelry, which he just LOVES. Teem got his dad and brothers-in-law each a remote controlled helicoptor, so even the big boys got to play with toys. Teem surprised me with a camera and a ring and I also got my first dust buster. Can I tell you how excited I am about that. (honestly) The day after Christmas we (the adults) went to a shooting range with Will (Teem's stepdad) and let me tell you, I'm good. No actually, I really have horrible aim, but it was fun to try. We also spent a couple days at OMSI (the science museum) and really enjoyed ourselves, although I think we could've gotten away with simply giving them a dollar in pennies and had them play with the penny ramp thing in the lobby. It definitely would've been more cost efficient, but we would've missed out on a lot of fun things. I highly recommend it if you ever visit Portland. Overall it was a fun time, but it's nice to be back home.

2 comments:

Sarah S said...

Fun!! It sounds like you guys did a lot on your trip. Bummer that Luucas threw up but I'm impressed that he did wait for the bowl!

I heard your msg last night but had to go to a primary board meeting - I'll call you later today so we can catch up! (Did you hear my voice mail from two wks ago that we sat behind Gretchen and Chad and their kids on the flight back from San Diego??

Sarah S said...

P.S. - I love your background paper! :)


Blueberry picking